to become a member
Montgomery Historical Society
You can become a member, or renew your membership here.
Suggested Range of Membership Donations:
$250 $200 $150 $100 $75 $50 $25
You can pay by credit card or PayPal account by clicking this button.or send a check with this
Printable Donor Card
Thanks for your support!
2019 Membership Letter
Hello Dear Friend of Montgomery,
As the first words of this year’s membership letter find their way to paper, the wind is whipping the small traces of last night’s snow across icy driveways and roads. The phrase ‘winter wonderland” deceives, and more than a few of us are thinking of some warmer clime and asking why am I here! An intrepid walk to the meadow offers a partial answer.
The neighbor has descended from the isolation of his cabin, impossible but for the chains on all four tires of the old truck. His real car, he explains, is parked at the garage down by the highway—can he get a lift? What follows is the casual interaction among people who know each other just enough to be genuinely interested, common here, but not something you find everywhere. The encounter and sense of community it brings warms the heart. Perhaps the ice and cold are not so bad.
Our Society promotes and thrives in this environment. Thanks to the neighborly spirit that defines Montgomery, and membership support, 2018 was another successful year and we anticipate more in 2019. Pratt Hall towers in good health over the village serving as a venue for much of what we do, and we continue programs and activities we think help make this town such a special place. Here’s a sampling...
- We removed several trees and brush behind the building to create a setting for quiet reflection. It is part a tribute to past members and donors. If you have not seen the Heritage Garden please stop by.
- Our Farmer’s Market will continue in 2019, starting a third year on June 15. Saturday mornings are even better when you have the chance to stop and buy locally raised food and other products as well as mingle with neighbors you might not see as often as you would like.
- We will continue to award scholarships. It’s always a joy to award a deserving Montgomery high school senior going on to future studies or training with a little local support.
- We will continue to sponsor a variety of programs. Last May we co-sponsored a presentation on the life and work of the Vermont fiddler Charles Ross Taggert. Look for the Northern Bronze hand bell ringers to perform in concert here on June first.
- We continue to honor area veterans. Our 25th annual Memorial Day commemoration will be at the St. Isidore’s cemetery this year and the wreath will be placed on the Village Green.
- We will continue to celebrate the Christmas and holiday season. Our family oriented festivities include two days highlighted by horse drawn wagon rides, face painting, Santa delivered by the Montgomery Fire Department, caroling, stories, dancers and cookies.
You can continue, or start, your support for all of these with a 2019 Membership Donation. If you are past member thanks so much for your help. Thanks also to the many local businesses who support us and keep this small town vibrant. It’s hard to imagine the town without them. Finally, if you are not a member, please consider becoming one. There is no such thing as a small donation, and an expanded membership list helps us reach out in many ways.
With gratitude, your Montgomery Historical Society Board of Directors:
Scott Perry, Bill McGroarty, Marijke Dollois, Sue Wilson, Tim Chapin, Elsie Saborowski,
John Beaty, Jo Anne Bennett, John Kuryloski, Pat Farmer, Andre LaBier, Bob Cummins, & Patty Perl
The Montgomery Historical Society is a 501.c.3 tax exempt organization