Unapproved Minutes of Meeting

The MHS Board meeting was held Thursday, July 14, 2005, at Pratt Hall, Montgomery Village.

Present:     Scott Perry, Sue Wilson, Marijke Dollois, JoAnne Bennett, John Beaty, Winston Lewis, Sabra Massey, Bill McGroarty, Bill Branthoover.

At 5:30 PM Scott Perry called the Meeting to order.

Scott presented “This day in history….”

1.    Minutes – Sue Wilson made a Motion, seconded by Sabra Massey to accept the Minutes of the May 18, 2005 meeting as written; the Motion was unanimously approved.

2.    Treasurer’s Report – Sue Wilson reported as follows: checking account balance $3,668.76; Capital Improvement and Jewett CD’s balance $12,655.83 and Scholarship CD’s balance $13,244.55. The scholarship CD’s will mature 07/29/05; Sue suggested to invest them in a no-catch 6-month CD which will yield 2.25% versus the current 0.7% yield. Bill McGroarty made a Motion, seconded by Winston Lewis to accept the Treasurer’s Report as written; the Motion was unanimously approved.

3.    Membership Update – Marijke Dollois reported that the membership to-date is 138 (including 18 new members) with $5,277.00 received.

3.    Old Business –

    a)    Concerts – Sabra reported that the Green Mountain Chorus, a barbershop group, has been confirmed for Saturday, August 6th at 7:30 at a total cost of $500. Scott Perry made a Motion, seconded by Winston Lewis, to charge an admission of $6 for members and $8 for non-members; the Motion was unanimously approved. Scott Perry will take responsibility for posters and publicity. It was decided to contact sponsors for next year’s concert series. Marijke will supply a list of sponsors to John Beaty.

        Rolf Anderson is interested in bringing a section of the Vermont Youth Orchestra to Montgomery; he would sponsor the concert. This would take place September/October. Scott will contact Rolf for further information.
    b)    Special projects/events
        1)    Community History Project – tentative video shoot dates have been set; no further information available at this time.
        2)    Art Show & Raffle – Marijke will contact Heidi Lague to see if she will organize the show.
        3)    Covered Bridges Festival – Parma has located a carpenter to build the mailboxes.

    c)    Pratt Hall –
    1)    Rocky has resigned except from winding the clock.  Lois Lumbra will do the cleaning before and after events.
    2)    Accident repairs – the ramp (± $40) and railing ($428) have been repaired. Scott will get an estimate for the repair of the sign.
    3)    Steps – Charlie Fichman will repair the steps; more of them were loose or broken than expected. Sue Wilson made a Motion, seconded by Sabra Massey to approve repairs up to $1,400; the Motion was unanimously approved.
    4)    Marijke discussed the ajuga and weeding of the front lawn. She will contact Peggy Doheny of McLawn to see what can be done.
    d)    More Board Members – Jeff Gonyaw of the Pond Store and Glen Bartolomeo have expressed interest in joining the Board.
    e)    Display space – no action
    f)    Budget – no action

3.    New Business –
    a)    The July Newsletter was distributed to Board members; the remainder were folded and labeled to be mailed to members.
    b)    History for Sale – Scott reported that the MHS website now has a category listing items for sale: book, calendar, ornaments and postcard.
    c)    Outstanding invoices – Sue mentioned that she has not yet received and invoice for Bill Killon’s expenses regarding the photographs of the stained glass windows; other outstanding invoices are for Sylvesters and the Vermont Council on the Humanities.
4. There being no further business, the Meeting adjourned at 6:30 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Marijke M. Dollois