Unapproved Minutes of Meeting
Montgomery Public Safety Building
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 @ 5:30 PM


Board Members and Members Present:    
Scott Perry, Sue Wilson, Marijke Dollois, Pat Farmer, Parma Jewett, Bill McGroarty

Scott Perry called the Meeting to order at 5:31 PM.

Recognition of visitors: Noela McGroarty

1.    Minutes of 02/20/07: Sue made a Motion, seconded by Pat to approve the Minutes of 02/20/08 as written with the Amendment that the meeting took place at the Town Clerk’s office and not the PSB Conference Room. The Motion was unanimously approved.

2.    Treasurer’s Report: We’re poor!
        Checking Account    $    904.42
        Lalia Pratt Hays Scholarship CD    6,746.78 @ 5.00%
        Capital Improvement CD    1,846.25 @ 4.75%
        Stained Glass Window fund CD    5,458.87 @ 5.00%

        Heaton House Mortgage     $24,206.76 @ 6.49% fixed ($210.15 per month)

Marijke made a Motion, seconded by Bill to approve the Treasurer’s Report of 03/19/08. The Motion was unanimously approved.

3.    Membership Update:
No further report.

4.    Old Business –
A.    May 3rd at 9:00 AM – clean-up day inside and out.

B.    Elder’s Night – No further report. Bill Branthoover will be asked to join the panel.

C.    May 26th Memorial Day Commemoration – Scott has contacted Lloyd Touchette regarding the gun salute and playing of the Last Post. Sally has suggested asking John Ramey to be the speaker. Everyone was in favor and Scott will contact him.

D.    June 20-22 History Expo – The Board approved the purchase of at least 3 sheets of
    homosite “corkboard” to mount the photographs.

E.    June 27th Annual Meeting – no further report

F.    July 5, 19 and Aug. 17 concert dates. Scott will print the tickets and prepare templates for promotional posters. Steve will attend the next meeting. He has mentioned the possibility of having a float at the 4th of July parade and hand out concert flyers. Parma suggested handing out balloons for the children and magnets portraying Montgomery historical buildings (Pratt Hall?)
G.    August 22-24 Art Show/Member Appreciation Evening – Noela is heading the Art Show Committee. This year will be the 10th anniversary. The Membership Appreciation Evening will be on Friday, June 22nd at 6:00 PM. The invitations will be sent out 3-4 weeks prior to the date. Parma and Sue will be in charge of refreshments and food. The show will be on Saturday, June 23rd from 9 AM to 4 PM. It was discussed not having it on Sunday; no final decision made. Marijke will work with Noela on the letters to be sent to the artists. Sue will contact Nancy Patch for an updated member list of the Artists in Residence in Enosburg. Noela, Parma and Marijke will meet Saturday, March 29th at 10 AM to discuss ideas, set-up and requirements for the show. Noela will coordinate publicity with Winston Lewis of the CBGC.

H.    Speakers – no further report.
I.    Pratt Hall – Bill and Scott met with Grenier Pest Control. It is imperative that the old, rotten wood in the attic be removed and that the area thoroughly cleaned. Treatment will be spraying the timbers and rafters with insecticide to kill the powder-post beetles. This will take place sometime July/August. The cost will be $350-$650. There is evidence of carpenter ants in the basement in the floor joists on one side; this will be treated at the same time.

    The removal (and later replacement) of the front steps will be the first part of shoring up the building. New sills will have to be installed and the tower supports may possibly have to be reinforced. Bill will follow up with Rolf Anderson regarding his contact with a timber-framer who may be able to consult on this work.

J.    Insurance coverage – no further report.

K.    Recording equipment – Jo Anne was not able to make it work; Scott will take a second look at it. 

5.    New Business:
A.    Scholarships – Marijke will mail letters to the Montgomery high school graduating students and ask Lois to publish a note in her weekly column in The Courier.

B.    Membership mailing party – Scott, Bill, Noela and Pat will meet at Marijke’s house on Friday, March 28th at 10 AM to prepare the mailing. Sue will arrange to have the letters printed.

C.    New board members – Scott distributed a membership list and asked everyone to peruse it for possible consideration.
6.    Adjourn:  Meeting adjourned at 6:50 PM

Respectfully submitted,
Marijke Dollois