Unapproved Minutes of Meeting
Sally Newton Residence, Montgomery Village
Thursday, January 17, 2008 @ 5:30 PM


Board Members and Members Present:    
Scott Perry, Sue Wilson, Marijke Dollois, Bill McGroarty, Pat Farmer, Parma Jewett, Sally Newton, Joanne Bennett

Scott presented an old, stained copy of “History of Baptist Church 1820-1968” typewritten by W. R. Branthoover. He will scan the text to make it available to other interested parties.

Parma showed enlargements of photograph relating to the Montgomery timber industry which will be used at the Tunbridge History Expo. She also showed photographs donated by Dee Pratt.
Scott Perry called the Meeting to order at 5:40 PM.

Recognition of visitors: None

1.    Minutes of 11/08/07: To be approved at next meeting

2.    Treasurer’s Report: To be approved at next meeting

3.    Membership Update:
Marijke reported that the final membership for 2007 at 222 members with contributions of $10,534.

4.    Old Business –
A.    Ongoing Projects/Events: Speakers – Sally is working together with Charles Henderson on grant applications for the speaker program.

B.    Pratt Hall
    Scott presented “Pratt Hall and Heaton House – Condition Assessment” prepared by Michael Gohl on December 4, 2007. A CD with photographs of the problems was included with the report. The Condition Assessment lists in detail detailed the condition of the buildings with a final recommendation for Pratt Hall of exterior and interior priority repairs for a total cost of ±$113,600. This report will be used as basis for the development of a restoration/repair plan, including a more extensive study of the timber-frame structure of the clocktower. It was agreed that the front steps are a priority and must be the first item to be addressed after the winter.
    Joanne will contact Grenier Pest Control (one of our members) to see what can be done about the powder-post beetles problem.
    Bill will contact Ann Cousins to follow-up regarding possible grant applications.
    There was no specific recommendation for the Heaton house.

C.    Christmas decorations – all have been removed except for the Christmas tree which will be done shortly.

D.    Insurance – no further report.

E.    History Expo and theme: Scott will send in the application to the Vermont Historical Society. The theme will be Montgomery Timber Industry and Innovations. The Atlas Plywood Company brochure will be used as a basis for photographs and text. Joanne, Parma and Sally will work on locating people who might have had relatives who worked in the industry and might have photographs and/or more information.

F.    Recording equipment – Scott presented Joanne with the recording equipment that had been purchased for the Community History Project and had been left at the school. It can possibly be used for her interviews with Montgomery elders.

 5.    New Business:

A.    Elder’s Night – it was decided to hold another Elder’s Night on Saturday, May 17th at 4 PM at the Grange. The same format will be used. A wireless microphone will be located in inauspicious place. The photographs that will be used for the Vermont History Expo will be presented.

B.    Town Report Input – Scott presented a copy of the 1896 Town Report (earliest version). He will use parts of this report with a brief description in the 2008 Town Report.

C.    Newsletter – the first quarterly newsletter of 2008 will be mailed.

D.    Pratt Hall Quilt Stencil Project – Lee Cleland from Australia visited recently with the Perry’s. She develops quilting patterns and a line of stencils from places she visits. She took many photographs at Pratt Hall, especially the stained glass windows and cast-iron grates which present intricate patterns. If any of these patterns are developed it might be a source of some income for the MHS.

E.    Others – the following dates were set:
    Memorial Day – May 26th at 10:00 AM at the Old Montgomery Center Cemetery. Sue will ask Donna of D&D Deli for a donation of coffee and the use of her thermos containers. She will receive a receipt for her donation.
    Annual Meeting – Friday, June 27th at 6:00 PM
    Art Show – Aug. 23rd & 24th; time TBA. Reception Friday, August 22nd at 6:00 PM
    Next MHS Board Meeting – Wednesday, February 13th at 5:30 at the Public Safety Building, unless there is a conflict with the monthly Garden Club Meeting.
6.    Adjourn:  Meeting adjourned at 6:45 PM

Respectfully submitted,
Marijke Dollois