MONTGOMERY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Minutes of Meeting
The MHS Board meeting was held January 13, 2005, at the Public Safety Building, Montgomery Center.
Present: Scott Perry, John Beaty, Sue Wilson, Parma Jewett, Bill McGroarty, Winston Lewis, Marijke Dollois, Sabra Massey.
At 7:05 PM Scott Perry called the Meeting to order.
Scott presented “This day in history….”
Ken Cota has informed Scott that he has a pencil-drawn map of the Hill West/West
Hill area drawn early 20th century, showing homes and detailing the life
of the residents. He would like to donate this map to the MHS, keeping a
copy for himself. The MHS is certainly interested, but no action was taken
at this time.
1. The Minutes of the previous two meetings will be finished by Parma Jewett.
2. Scott proposed to meet regularly every second Thursday
of the month at 5:30 PM at the Public Safety Building. This proposal was
3. Request from Jesse Jones, 2nd year UVM student, for
financial support to participate in a volunteer program in the Dominican
Republic. Sue Wilson made a Motion to deny the request, seconded by
Winston Lewis. It was discussed to set a policy regarding such requests,
as the MHS already gives two scholarships to graduating high school students.
It was unanimously approved to deny this request.
Marijke will contact Rita Kalsmith to obtain a copy of the scholarship requirements.
4. (a) A Motion was made by Scott Perry, seconded by Winston Lewis to formally elect the
following officers; the Motion was unanimously approved. These officers will be the Executive Committee.
Scott Perry – Chairman 2005-06
Bill McGroarty – Vice-Chairman 2005-06
Marijke Dollois – Secretary 2005-06
Barbara Nye – Treasurer (until June 2005)
Sue Wilson – Treasurer 2005-06
(b) Expenditures: Any expenditure over
$150 will require the approval of the Executive Committee.
(a) Speakers – Chair, Charles Henderson.
1. Frank Bryan, January 20th at the
Town Library. The MHS will co-sponsor this event at a cost of $75.
2. Victorian lighting – TBA
3. Bill Branthoover – exhibit of Fuller photographs – TBA
Andrew Massey will formulate a proposal for the summer
program. Steve Hays will be contacted for his input, as the Board wants to
continue the “Concerts By The Common”.
(c) History Expo – Theme “Farming Now
and Then” at Tunbridge, VT June 25-26. Parma Jewett and Bill Branthoover
will chair this event.
(d) Community History Project – ongoing.
The MHS committee consists of Charles Henderson, Bill McGroarty and John
(e) 2006 Calendar – Scott Perry made
a Motion, seconded by Sabra Massey, and unanimously approved, to continue
this project. Parma Jewett is already in the process of assembling photographs
of historic buildings. The calendar will be ready for the Annual Meeting.
6. The Treasurer’s Report prepared by Barb Nye was approved
as written. Scott presented a draft of a financial statement and proposed
budget for 2005. This report should be further discussed by the Executive
7. MHS newsletter – Scott volunteered to be the editor
and presented a proposed issue. He suggested that this newsletter be distributed
to all members quarterly. The April issue will be combined with a mailing
for membership renewal.
8. Scott has set up an e-mail address for the MHS: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is also a link to the MHS from the town website: www.vermont-towns.org/montgomery/mhs.
9. Bill Branthoover was appointed as Archivist of the MHS.
10. Scott will arrange to have the furnace switch moved
from inside the archival room to the outside in order to meet the fire code.
11. Upon Motion made by Bill McGroarty, seconded by Sue
Wilson and unanimously approved, it was decided to donate $187.50 to the
Town for storage of the Hectorville Bridge. This represents half of the annual
cost. The Town has discussed the possible placement of the bridge with the
Recreation Department in the proposed park located on the Gordon Jewett property.
12. Board members were asked to present 2 more members for nomination.
13. Committee chairs/dates:
(a) Speakers – Charles Henderson
(b) Music – Sabra Massey
(c) Special events:
1. History Expo – Parma Jewett, Bill Branthoover
2. Antiques Road
Show, April 9th 7-9 PM at the Grange – Charles Henderson, Winston Lewis and
3. Community History
Project – Charles Henderson, Bill McGroarty, John Beaty
4. Memorial Day Commemoration, Monday May 30th at 10 AM - Scott Perry
5. Annual Meeting, Friday, June 17th – Sue Wilson, Sabra Massey
6. Membership – Marijke Dollois
7. Fundraising -
a. Calendars – Parma Jewett
Covered Bridge Festival – mailboxes in the shape of covered bridges to be
build by town carpenters and decorated by town artists and then auctioned
off at the Arts for the Park event – Parma Jewett, Sue Wilson, Sabra Massey
and Marijke Dollois
Art Exhibit at Pratt Hall – TBA (to coincide with Garden Club Harvest Day
event end of August) – Eric Bataille, Heidi Lague
14. Display space – to be discussed further.
Marijke M. Dollois